Dot Bombed !

Have you ever worked for a company in a downward spiral?

I have worked for two different web agencies which have dot bombed. If you've never experienced this your lucky, no matter how prepared you think you are for it it's still always a surprise when it happens. This is partly because most companies try to have their cake and eat it too, always assuring the employees that things are fine so the staff doesn’t start looking for new employment and business can continue to run as usual. So while you may have some indication that things are bad you usually have no idea exactly how bad things really are.

On my last day at one of the companies, I had been told that very morning the company had the resources to continue business as usual for about three months so we did not have to worry about the security of our jobs just yet. Worried but slightly relieved I had a whole three months to find another job, I went to my office and worked for a few hours. After I went to lunch with a few other employees, when I returned to the office there were people walking around upset some in tears. I was then informed the office would be shutting down effective immediately, It seems the CEO after thinking about it over lunch changed his mind and decided he would rather cut his loses now rather than in three months.

The sad thing is I have talked to dozens of people about their dot bombed experiences and it seems I got off easy I mean I'm sure you have all heard of Enron...

Comments