Finally... Ken Kutaragi Talks PS3

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced in Toyko earlier today that the PlayStation 3 would be launching worldwide in early November. The company had said earlier that it would come out in Japan in April and other locations, including the United States, for the holidays.

Typically Sony launches products locally in Japan, then worldwide. This will be the first worldwide simultaneous release of a PlayStation console.

The company promised to have enough units for people to buy, with a production capacity of a million PS3s each month. As previously reported, the new console will feature a high density Blu-Ray DVD drive, which can store up to 50 gigabytes of information on a single disc, allowing for games that approach PC titles in detail and action and the ability to watch movies in full HD.

Sony also announced that it was dropping the price on its PlayStation Portable (PSP) handheld gaming device to $199, a $50 reduction and there were new details about Sony's next gen online gaming community poised to fire back at Microsoft's XBox Live.

Comments

I've always been a loyal fan of the SONY Playstation, but aesthetically speaking, is it just me or is the PS3's new design just plain ugly?

I remember when the first pictures started to show up on the internet. I kept telling myself, "that can't possibly be it!?", but sure enough to this day, everyone keeps referencing these photos.

I mean, what's with the weird fat-ass shape? ...or the boomerang-shaped controller? Was Ken Kutagari dinning at 'Outback Steakhouse' when he concieved the controller idea? Will the TSA end up confiscating my controllers at the airport because they'll mistakingly confuse my PS3 controllers for Boomerangs? Am I going to end up getting shot by Dick Cheney because he couldn't tell that what I was holding in my hand was a controller and not a freaking Pheasant? Lots of deep, thought-provoking questions; no answers. :p

I'm not a big fan of the XBOX, but the XBOX-360's design is actually pretty slick.

In my opinion, the PS1 (PSX) is the best aesthetically looking console to come out in the game console's history. :)

I guess we'll all have to wait until it comes out and really see how it'll be received by the consumers. ;)

In the end... it's what's inside that matters, ... and as long as that isn't an Intel Chip, I'm okay with that.

Cheers!